Kale and Brussels Salad
One of my favorite salads to serve when we are having people over or asked to bring something to a party is this Brussels and Kale salad. The salad and dressing can be made the day before and all you have to do the day of your event is assemble! You can make without a protein and it is delicious but I will often add grilled chicken or grilled salmon. Enjoy making and eating this nutrient dense and yummy salad!
- 8 cups chopped lacinato kale
- 3 cups shaved brussels
- 4 tbl fresh dill
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachio nuts
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup shaved parmigiana reggiano
- 4 tbl olive oil
- 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbl lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 garlic clove smashed
- 1 tsp minced shallot
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove middle rib of kale and chop into 1 inch pieces. Wash and dry well.
- Add the olive oil to kale and massage for a 2-3 minutes. Kale is very hearty so don’t be afraid to put a little muscle into it. This will soften the kale and the most important step to this recipe.
- Shave the Brussels on a mandolin or on a slicer blade of food processor.
- Add the fresh dill, cherries, nuts and cheese and give a gentle toss to mix all ingredients.
For the dressing:
- Add all of the ingredients to a glass mason jar and whisk with a spoon.
- Give the jar a good shake before adding to salad. Remember to remove garlic clove before dressing the salad.
- Dressing stores in fridge for up to 3 days.