Game Day Chili
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage (casing removed)
- 3 tbl chili powder
- 1 tbl cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbl dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbl tomato paste
- 2 x 14 oz cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1 cup of beer ( Stout works well)
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans
- Start by heating 3 tbl avocado oil in a large pot. Add the onions and peppers and cook until translucent, around 3-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tbl of oil and ground beef and sausage and cook until meat is browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add all of the seasonings and minced garlic and give a good mix, making sure all the spices and garlic evenly coat the meat and veggies.
- Deglaze the pan with beer and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, beef broth and bay leaves and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves and add both beans (I like to rinse beans before adding to chili)
- Continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- The longer the chili sits, the more the flavor develops. I like to make the day before serving but the recipe can be made and served same day too!
Rice, macaroni or spaghetti pasta, hot dogs and tortillas chips
Shredded cheddar, jalapeños, chopped onions, scallions, radish, cilantro, guacamole, sour cream