Kimchi Fried Rice w/ Fried Egg
photos by Yu Tsai
Growing up on fermented food, I never had a stomach virus as a kid; the staple being kimchi. This Kimchi Fried Rice is a delicious way to bring kimchi into your diet. Typically, you start off feeding young ones kimchi that has been washed, but as you get older and more adventurous, you start to eat the full flavored spicy version. Now, I can’t go too many days without it, especially when I have been traveling.
When we come home from a trip, my husband and I are always craving Kimchi Fried Rice. Thankfully, the 3 main ingredients are things I always have on hand. My recipe calls for pork belly, so you can use the rendered fat to fry the kimchi for extra flavor, but this recipe can easily be made vegetarian and is naturally gluten free. Coming home always means one thing… time for kimchi fried rice.
Serves 4 / Prep Time 30 min (including rice cooking) / Cook Time 20 min / Difficulty Medium
- 1/2 lb Pork Belly
- 4 Cups Cooked Asian Sticky Rice
- 2 Cups Strained Kimchi Chopped
- 1 TBL Avocado Oil + 1 TSP of avocado oil for egg
- 3 TBL Gojuchang
- 1 TBL Fish Sauce
- 1 TBL Sesame Oil
- 1/2 TSP Furikake
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- Heat avocado oil in a pan (I use the wok style Green Pan)
- Cook Pork Belly Seasoned with salt and Pepper
- Remove from pan and put aside
- Add Gojuchang to pan with all the oil from pork belly
- Add the kimchi to the gojuchang and oil and cook for 2-3 min
- Add the rice and incorporate into kimchi.
- Add the fish sauce and continue to cook for 1 minute
- In a separate pan heat 1 tsp avocado oil and fry egg until white part is cooked through
- Plate the kimchi rice, top with egg and sprinkle with Furikake