Garlic Confit and Lemon Preserve Recipe
Garlic confit and lemon preserves are two staples that I always keep in my fridge for a go-to flavor boost! These two ingredients will elevate any recipe. From roasted chicken to toast to rice and potatoes - it’s delicious on almost everything!!
100 cloves of garlic (approximately 2 cups)
3 cups of olive oil
1. Put your peeled garlic cloves in a medium sauce and add olive oil.
2. Keep your heat on a low flame and allow the garlic and oil to infuse for about 40 minutes. Keep an eye on your oil and garlic, making sure it’s not boiling or burning.
3. Let cool
4. Transfer to mason jar and store in fridge for up to 2 months!
7 or 8 lemons preferably Meyer lemons
Optional add ons:
- Cinnamon stick
- Star Anise
- Cardomom Pods
- Wash lemons very well with scrub brush and dry.
- Cut off 1/4 inch off each end of lemon. Save 2-3 for juicing into jar at the end.
- Score the lemon in quarters making sure not to cut all the way through, keeping the lemon in tact on bottom.
- Sprinkle salt into the pulp of lemon. Use salt liberally, I used about 2 tbl.
- Coat bottom of a sterilized wide mouthed glass jar with salt. Add the lemons to jar, pushing down to fit them in.
- Squeeze juice from remaining lemons so all the lemons are fully covered in liquid, leaving 2 inches at top of jar.
- Leave jar on counter covered with a kitchen towel. After 24 hours, open jar and push lemons down once more. Cover and refrigerate for 1 month.
- When using lemons after one month, run under water and remove pulp, using rind for recipes.