Korean BBQ Chicken Skewers
photos by Yu Tsai
This Korean BBQ Chicken Skewers recipe may be simple, but because of this homemade marinade, I promise you, the chicken skewers will be packed with the most delicious and juiciest flavors.
Growing up in my mom’s kitchen, Korean BBQ marinade was a staple. This sweet and salty marinade is not only great to marinade and season meat, It is also a perfect sauce that can be poured over chicken, thinly sliced rib-eye steaks, short ribs and even grilled and seasoned food.
My kids and husband love these skewers so much, they request it at least once a week in our home. I love making this dish for them because it also makes great leftovers. Kids love it when I pack it for school lunches in a sandwich or simply tucked into a quesadilla with a bit of marinade drizzled on the chicken.
Enjoy my family recipe and experiment the marinade on different dishes. It may just become one of your family’s most requested.
Serves 6 / Prep Time 20 min / Cook Time 25 min / Difficulty Easy
- 2 LB Chicken Cubed for Skewers (I like to use dark meat on grill)
- 1 Small Asian Pear
- 1/2 Small Sweet or Yellow Onion
- 1/3 Cup Gluten Free Tamari
- 1 1/2 TBL Brown Sugar or 2 TBL without Asian Pear
- 2 Scallions Chopped
- 1 TBL Sesame Oil
- 1 TBL Minced Garlic
- 2 TBL Sake
- 1/8 TSP Pepper
- Puree Pear and onion (If not using asian pear puree onion only)
- Mix all of the remaining ingredients with pear and onion puree
- Pour mixture over cubed chicken and marinate overnight
- Skewer marinated meat on metal skewers or bamboo skewers the have been soaked in water and make sure the meat is skewered close together to stay juicy while cooking
- Cook Meat on a pre-heated bbq or grill for 15-20 minutes